A networking event is a gathering where people from the same industry or with similar goals come together to discuss their career goals and build networks. It’s a great way to connect with like-minded individuals and build professional connections. Doing so can help you gather valuable information and it’s an opportunity for attendees to ask others some great and beneficial questions.
The following are sample questions that will help you ask questions that are interesting to the interviewee.
Questions to ask at a networking event
Getting to know other professionals is the main goal of most networking events. There are many ways to get started and connect with others in these questions.
One of the most important elements of successful networking is asking the right questions. Doing so will help you gain the trust of the other person, and it will also show that you are listening to their concerns.
Step 1: Get to know them by asking career path questions
- Can you walk me through your career journey and how did you end up at X company?
- What’s the biggest obstacle you’ve faced in your career so far?
- Where do you hope to go next in your career?
Step 2: Get to know their field by asking job responsibilities questions
- What are some of the main challenges that you face in this position?
- What skills have you found essential for success in this field?
- What does a typical week in your work look like?
Step 3: Get to know their organization by asking work conditions question
- What’s the company culture like?
- What are the most important qualities your company looks for in recruits?
- What kinds of professional development opportunities do exist within the company?
Step 4: Miscellaneous questions
- What is your preferred method for keeping in touch?
Although it’s important to take notes during an interview, do so sparingly to avoid interrupting the flow of the conversation. After the session, write down all of the key points and details that were covered.
You can also maintain a relationship with the people you have interviewed by following up on their suggestions and recommendations to ask them for any advice or suggestions they might have to share. If they referred you to a website or professional organization, thank them for their help and support.