A website audit is an important part of SEO. You need to know what’s working and what isn’t if you want your website to rank higher in search engine results pages (SERPs). In this blog post, we will discuss 16 SEO tools that you can use to audit your website. These tools will help you find issues with your website that may be preventing it from ranking well in Google and other search engines.
12 Best SEO Tools
The market is infested with tools, some are free and some are paid. Here are 16 of the best SEO audit tools that you can use to assess your website’s SEO health, divided into two categories, free and paid.
The SEO tools covered in this post include:
- Google Search Console
- Google Analytics
- Bing Webmaster
- Screaming Frog SEO Spider
- UpCity Free SEO Report Card
- Check My Links
- Moz Pro
- SEO PowerSuite
Free SEO Audit Tools
Google Search Console
GSC (Google Search Console) is an obvious one, isn’t it? Well, let’s start with the obvious ones, you’d be shocked, but in many cases, they’re overlooked.
GSC is a free tool from Google that allows you to see how your website is performing in Google search results.
Examples of the information search console will provide you with include:
- The number of impressions your website has gotten in Google search results
- The average position of your website in Google search results
- The click-through rate (CTR) of your website in Google search results
- The number of organic clicks your website has gotten in Google search results
GSC will also show you any errors that Google has found on your website. These errors could be preventing your website from ranking as well as it should be.
To use GSC, you will need to verify that you own the website. This can be done by adding a meta tag to your website’s home page, uploading an HTML file to your website, or using your Google Analytics or Google Tag Manager account.
Once you have verified that you own the website, you can start using GSC to audit your website.
Google Analytics is a free tool from Google that allows you to track the traffic to your website. This includes the number of visitors, where they came from, what they did on your website, and more.
Google Analytics can be used to track both organic and paid traffic. This is important because you need to know how your website is performing in both Google search results and paid advertising.
Google Analytics metrics to keep an eye on:
- The number of pageviews
- The average time on site
- The number of organic visitors
To use Google Analytics, you will need to create a Google Analytics account and add the tracking code to your website. Once you have done this, you can start using Google Analytics to audit your website.
Bing Webmaster Tools
Bing Webmaster is a free tool from Microsoft that allows you to see how your website is performing in Bing search results.
Bing Webmaster Tools will show you the number of impressions your website has gotten in Bing search results, the average position of your website in Bing search results, the click-through rate (CTR) of your website in Bing search results, and the number of organic clicks your website has gotten in Bing search results.
Bing Webmaster Tools will also show you any errors that Bing has found on your website. Sounds repetitive right? It kind of is.
To use Bing Webmaster Tools, you will need to verify that you own the website. This is quite similar to what is mentioned above for Google Search Console.
Screaming Frog SEO Spider
Screaming Frog is a desktop program that you can use to audit your website. It is available for both Windows and Mac.
Screaming Frog will crawl your website and find all of the pages, resources, and links. It will then provide you with information about each page, resource, and link. This information includes the page title, metadata, header tags, response codes, and more.
Screaming Frog is a free tool that is limited to 100 pages per website, which means yes, it does have a paid version.
Google Trends is a free tool from Google that allows you to see how popular certain keywords are.
Google Trends also provides you with data about how the popularity of a keyword has changed over time. This is important because you want to make sure that you are using keywords that are becoming more popular, not less popular.
UpCity Free SEO Report
The UpCity Free SEO Report Card is a tool that will audit your website and provide you with a report card. The report card will grade your website on factors such as website structure, title tags, meta descriptions, etc.
This is a great tool if you want a quick overview of how your website is doing. However, it does not provide as much information as some of the other tools on this list.
Check My Links
Check My Links is a Chrome extension that allows you to double-check the links on both internal and external web pages. For example, if you’re currently reading a webpage, the chrome extension would be able to show you how many links the page has, and if any of them are broken.
Paid SEO Audit Tools
SEOToolSet is a paid tool that you can use to audit your website. They have a free trial that you can use to try out the tool.
SEOToolSet will crawl your website and find all of the pages, resources, and links. It will then provide you with information about each page, resource, and link. This information includes the page title, metadata, header tags, response codes, and more.
They also have a keyword research tool that you can use to find keywords that you should be targeting.
Moz has a lot of free tools or services, that is limited, but is actually quite helpful. Moz Pro, on the other hand, is a paid tool and is one of the most popular SEO tools on the market.
Some of the services offered by Moz Pro include website crawls, keyword research, link analysis, and more.
Moz Pro also has a free trial that you can use to try out the tool.
SEO PowerSuite is a paid tool that includes four different tools: Rank Tracker, SEO SpyGlass, LinkAssistant, and Website Auditor.
- Rank Tracker is a tool that allows you to track your website’s ranking in Google and Bing search results.
- SEO SpyGlass is a tool that allows you to spy on your competition and see what they are doing to rank higher in search results.
- LinkAssistant is a tool that allows you to find and manage links to your website.
- Website Auditor is a tool that allows you to audit your website and find issues that could be holding back your website’s ranking in search results.
SEO PowerSuite has a free trial that you can use to try out the different tools.
KWFinder is a paid keyword research tool. It is similar to Moz Keyword Explorer and Google Keyword Planner.
KWFinder allows you to find keywords that you should be targeting. It also allows you to find long-tail keywords, which are usually easier to rank for.
KWFinder’s view includes:
- Your target keyword and related keywords
- Autocomplete suggestions
- Questions that are great for content ideas
- Search volume data over the past 5 years
- SERP overview
KWFinder has a free trial that you can use to try out the tool.
Ahrefs is a powerful SEO tool that analyzes your website’s content and creates keywords, links, and ranking profiles to assist you in making better editorial choices.
Ahrefs features include:
- Site Explorer – provides you with an overview of your website’s traffic, backlinks, and organic search results.
- Keyword Explorer – research keywords to find the ones that are most relevant to your business.
- Site Audit – audits your website’s performance and provides you with everything that needs fixing.
- Rank Tracker – helps you in monitoring your website’s rankings over time and chart your performance in comparison to your competitors’.
- Content Explorer – Find the most popular content on your website and see what keywords it ranks for.
SEMrush is an all-in-one marketing tool that can be used for SEO, PPC, social media, and more.
SEMrush’s features include:
- Keyword Research – find the right keywords to target for your SEO, PPC, or social media campaigns.
- Competitor Research – see what your competitors are doing and how they are ranking in search results.
- Site Audit – audit your website to find issues that could be holding back your website’s ranking in search results.
- Backlink Analysis – see who is linking to your website and how strong those links are.
- SEO Ideas – get ideas on what you can do to improve your website’s ranking in search results.
SEMrush has a free trial that you can use to try out the tool.
These are just a few of the many SEO tools that you can use to audit your website. Do some research and find the ones that work best for you and your business. And don’t forget to keep track of your progress so you can see how your efforts are paying off.
Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments below.
One thought on “12 SEO Tools to Better Optimize Your Website”